Thursday, May 21, 2015

ReadyNAS Support Users BEWARE!!

As the owner of several Netgear ReadyNAS devices, I use them frequently.  However, I am extremely disappointed with how many times I have to contact support for issues that I experience with my ReadyNAS (particularly the newer ReadyCloud/ReadyNAS OS 6 devices).

I recently ran into an issue which prevented me from accessing the Web Administration console and I was requested to agree to this support policy: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20932/~/netgear-remote-access-policy

If you read the support policy, you will see that this is the most high risk support agreement I have ever read in my LIFE!!  It basically removes all liability of wrongdoing from the Netgear Support Technicians and offers no compensation if some or all of your data is lost from the device!!  The whole reason I bought the ReadyNAS device was to prevent the loss of data and now you are asking me to consent to letting a support tech potentially DESTROY ALL MY DATA!!  There was no way in a million  years that I would consent to such a thing.

As you can probably guess, a bit later on I encountered an issue which prevented me from writing to any of my home folders on the ReadyNAS device.  Once again Netgear Support could offer no other solution than asking me to sign the very invasive support policy in order to troubleshoot it further.  Of course, since I did not agree to it before, I was not about to agree to it the next time they asked.

In any case, I would have to say I am very, very EXTREMELY disappointed with the new ReadyCloud OS 6 devices.  Netgear certainly had the right idea but the execution of the whole unit was very poorly done.  To compound the issue, this support policy provides absolutely no protection to the customer making the support agreements for these devices essentially USELESS.

No comments:

Post a Comment